School Bus Safety!
To be safe when you travel to and from school, follow these
simple safety rules:
- Never run after the school bus if it has already left the bus
- Never cross the street behind the school bus.
- If you leave something on the bus or drop something outside of
the bus, never go back for it. The driver may not see you and begin
moving the bus.
- Get to the school bus stop five minutes early, so you won't
have to run across the road to catch the bus.
AT THE BUS STOP:
- Always walk to the bus stop. Never run.
- Walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left
- Always go to the bus stop about five minutes before the bus is
scheduled to arrive.
- While at the bus stop, wait in a safe place away from the road.
Do not run and play while waiting.
- Never speak to strangers at the bus stop and never get into the
car with a stranger. Always go straight home and tell you parents
if a stranger tries to talk to you or pick you up.
- Wait for the bus to arrive, watch for red flashing lights and
the stop sign to be extended, and cross only when all traffic has
stopped. Look left, right, and left again before crossing.
ON THE BUS:
- Go directly to a seat. Remain seated and facing forward for the
- Talk quietly (so the driver will not be distracted).
- If you need to talk to the bus driver: wait for the bus to
stop, raise your hand, and call the driver's name.
- Never throw things on the bus or out the windows. Never play
with the emergency exits.
- Keep the aisles clear at all times.
- If there is an emergency, listen to the driver and follow
EXIT THE BUS:
- When getting off the bus make sure you walk (not run) three
more steps away from the door. This is the best place to be around
a bus. Stay away from the bus wheels and watch out for moving
- Once you get off the bus, go straight home so an adult will
know where you are.
- Only get on and off the bus at your designated stop. If you
need to get off the bus somewhere else, you will need to have a
note from your parents.
- If you leave something on the bus, never return to the bus to
get it. The driver may not see you come back and they may begin
moving the bus. Also, if you drop something near the bus, tell the
bus driver before you attempt to pick it up, so they will know
where you are.